The Government of India launched the Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) app to render access to several government services at a single place. This app acts as a common platform for several government services such as Aadhaar, gas booking, crop insurance, National Pension System, and Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPF).
In addition to English, the app is available in 12 regional languages which not only makes it user-friendly but also makes it relevant to tier II, III cities as well as the rural areas, thereby expanding the app’s scope and exposure. The 12 regional languages include Hindi, Gujarati, Assamese, Kannada, Bengali, Punjabi, Odia, Marathi, Malayalam, Tamil, Urdu, and Telugu. The app has a dedicated customer support to facilitate user convenience, which is functional between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. on all days of the week.
How can one download this app?
- You can download the app via the app store of your mobile operating system.
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) website has the link ‘https://web.umang.gov.in‘ using which you can download the app.
- If you are unable to search for the application, you can either give a missed call or send an SMS to ‘9718397183’ for receiving a download link.
After downloading the app successfully, you have to fill in your information, such as your full name, mobile number, etc. You can register yourself on the app by using the One-Time Password (OTP) which is sent on the mobile number using which the app has been downloaded. Your Aadhaar Card number can be linked with the UMANG app. However, this is currently optional. You will also have the option to link your UMANG account with the social media profiles such as Facebook and Twitter.
EPF services under the UMANG app
Once the app is successfully installed, you can find the EPFO option on the homepage of your app. You will need to choose the ‘Employee Centric Services’ option and key in your EPF Universal Account Number (UAN) when you are prompted. You will now be able to log in via an OTP that will be sent to your registered mobile number with the EPF. Currently, as an EPF subscriber, you will have access to 16 different EPFO services via this mobile application.
Currently, three services are available in the UMANG app under the EPFO section:
- You can view your passbook.
- You can claim part withdrawal, pension withdrawal, and final settlement.
- You can also track the status of the claims you have already submitted.
Additional services you can access via the UMANG App
- You can apply for a PAN (permanent account number) via the UMANG app. The e-KYC can be completed by providing your Aadhaar details. On applying for a PAN card, you will also be able to check the status of your application via this app.
- In case you are seeking a job you can register yourself under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana via this app.
- If you are holding an NPS (National Pension System) account, you will be able to check your account details, current holdings, and recent contributions via the UMANG app. You will also be able to apply for an address change in a few of the services using this app. You can also modify the schemes under NPS via this app.
- As an EPF pensioner, you will now be able to check your passbook as well as update Jeevan Pramaan Patra on the UMANG app. As a pensioner, you will be able to generate your digital life certificate via this app. You will need an active UAN and a mobile number that is registered with EPFO for availing EPFO services on the UMANG app.
The UMANG app has been a big hit amidst the EPFO subscribers; in the last four months, around 1.127 million subscribers have settled their claims using this app. As per the data received from the retirement funds body, it shows that during the pandemic period between April and July 2020, 11.27 lakhs claims have been filed online via the UMANG app.
This translates to an increase of 180% in comparison to the pre-COVID-19 period between December 2019 and March 2020, wherein only 3.97 lakhs claims were made using this app. Also, ‘View Member Passbook’ has been the most popular service that has been availed by the members via the UMANG app.
Thanks to the increasing usage of smartphones in India, EPFO has been able to expand its access of services to members via mobile governance.
For any clarifications/feedback on the topic, please contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bhavana is a Senior Content Writer handling the GST vertical. She is committed, professional, and has a flair for writing. When away from work, she enjoys watching movies and playing with her son. One thing she can’t resist is SHOPPING! Her favourite quote is: “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity”.