The income tax department has announced that they will launch a new e-filing portal on June 7, and their services through the portal will be unavailable between June 1 and June 6. The income tax department notified the public about the downtime of the portal due to the transition through a notice.
As per the information released by the IT department, the transition from the existing website, that is ‘www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in’, to ‘www.incometax.gov.in’ will be completed by June 7. The current portal will not provide any service between the said duration to facilitate the smooth transition from the old portal to the new one.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) requested taxpayers to extend their support during the downtime. It also said no compliance dates would be fixed in this duration to ensure there is no inconvenience caused to the taxpayers. The following are the main features of the new e-filing portal:
- The new e-filing portal is touted to be more user-friendly than the current one. It will process and issue quick IT refunds to the taxpayers as it will be integrated with the immediate processing of tax returns.
- All action items to be performed by a taxpayer will be displayed on the same dashboard.
- An interactive ITR preparation software will be available online and offline to help taxpayers with no tax knowledge to file their ITR.
- To provide taxpayers with immediate assistance, FAQs, videos, tutorials, and a call centre will be available.
- Key functions available on the desktop will be made available on a mobile application as well.
- Payment options such as UPI, NEFT, RTGS and net banking will be added to the new tax payment system on the updated e-filing portal.
For any clarifications/feedback on the topic, please contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Engineer by qualification, financial writer by choice. I am always open to learning new things.