Get Pension Even Though You Stay Abroad

The Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare has released an office memorandum regarding submitting annual life certificates for pensioners and family pensioners living abroad. The pensioners have to submit the yearly life certificate in November to continue receiving their pensions. The memorandum states five methods to submit the life certificate for pensioners through online and offline modes. 

Pensioners or the family pensioner can provide Digital Life Certificate through the Jeevan Pramaan website. However, there are offline modes as well for the pensioners who cannot make a physical appearance. 

Suppose the pensioner draws the pension through a bank included in the Second Schedule to the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934. In that case, an officer of the bank can sign the life certificate. The pensioner can choose not to make a personal appearance if the officer signs the certificate. 

The pensioner or family pensioner can be exempt from physically appearing if an authorised agent can submit the certificate signed by a notary, a magistrate, a diplomatic representative of India or a banker. 

Suppose the pensioner or family pensioners are non-resident Indians (NRIs) who are unable to visit India. In that case, they can submit a certificate issued by an authorised officer of the Indian Embassy/High Commission of India or the Consul of the Indian Consulate in the country of residence. The certification verifies the pensioner or family pensioner based on the photograph in the PPO, passport, or similar documents. 

Suppose the pensioner or the family pensioner cannot visit the Embassy or the Consulate. In that case, they can send the necessary documents through post along with a doctor’s certificate, mentioning the inability to pay a visit to the Embassy or the Consulate physically. The Embassy or the Consulate will provide the necessary assistance to submit the life certificate successfully. 

Join our Telegram channel to keep getting updates on all things finance.

For any clarifications/feedback on the topic, please contact the writer at

You May Also Like

Save Your Tax By Claiming Medical Expenditure Under Section 80D

The current financial year is near to end on 31st March. You…

Senior Citizens: PMVVY or SCSS investment scheme, which one is best?

Due to a fall in the interest rates offered on fixed deposits…

Know All About Moonlighting in India

The term ‘Moonlighting’ has become popular nowadays. Companies are framing strict policies…