Goods and Services Tax (GST) officials issued a notice to a street vendor in Uttar Pradesh stating that he committed tax fraud worth Rs 366 crore. The vendor who earns Rs 500 daily by selling clothes on the streets was surprised by this notice. Shocked by the accusations, the street vendor has contacted department officials to intervene in the matter.
The street vendor clarified that
- He obtained tax registration two years ago as a small scrap shop.
- He did waste business worth Rs 500 to Rs 1,000 a day.
- Later he closed the scrap business due to continuous losses and started selling clothes on the streets.
- He also informed his CA to close the registration.
The higher officials of the department stated that
- Invoices worth over Rs 300 crore had been issued.
- It seems to be a large racket involved in this fraud.
- They will conduct a thorough investigation into this.
- Also, it kept a few firms and individuals under scrutiny.
Also, the Joint Commissioner added that a few people claim that their firm’s account number is being used by someone else. The authorities questioned the concerned parties in this case.
The officials raided the street vendor’s house earlier this week when he was not home. Later, he filed a complaint with the department providing all the details and requested a fair investigation into this matter.
For any clarifications/feedback on the topic, please contact the writer at email@example.com
DVSR Anjaneyulu known as AJ, is a Chartered Accountant by profession. Loves to listening to music & spending time with family and friends.