First time in India, the Kerala government launched an app to curb Goods and Service Tax (GST) evasion. The government named it as ‘Lucky Bill App,’ recently launched by Kerala Chief Minister Mr. Pinarayi Vijayan.
Kerala CM said that
- Often, most customers/buyers walk away without asking for a bill after making a purchase.
- So, introduced the ‘Lucky Bill App’ and appealing citizens to upload the original GST bills whenever they made any purchase.
- Citizens will be rewarded based on the draw of lots and can win cash prizes up to Rs 25 lakh.
- The app will also offer rewards such as gift packs and KTDC tour packages apart from cash prizes.
- The government would give Rs 5 crore worth of prizes every year.
- This move will nudge customers to ask for bills every time they purchase.
- This app will also help in curbing GST evasion by businesses.
- Tax collection is crucial for state development, and it is essential to have cooperation between the citizens, businesses, and government officials.
The department said they developed the app in collaboration with the Digital University of Kerala. Also, there would be daily, weekly and monthly prizes and a bumper prize, through a draw of lots, for those who upload bills on the ‘Lucky Bill App.’
This app was released amid the government fighting financial troubles and looking at ways to strengthen revenues. The department clarified that the app would enable the state GST department to examine return filings of businesses using the bills uploaded by citizens. Also, this application will help to implement the taxation rules strictly.
For any clarifications/feedback on the topic, please contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org
DVSR Anjaneyulu known as AJ, is a Chartered Accountant by profession. Loves to listening to music & spending time with family and friends.