The income tax department had disclosed that it had issued over Rs.24,792 crore refunds from 1st April 2021 to 17th May 2021. The total figure includes Rs.7,458 crore personal income tax refunds issued to over 14.98 lakh taxpayers and Rs.17,334 crore corporate tax refunds issued to 43,661 taxpayers. Hence, the department has issued the refund to more than 15 lakh taxpayers.
In the fiscal year 2020-21, the department had issued Rs.2.62 lakh crore refunds to around 2.38 crore taxpayers. It was 43.2 per cent higher than the refund amount issued in the fiscal year 2019-20.
You can check your IT refund status online through the income tax e-filing portal or the NSDL website. To check the status from the income tax e-filing website by following the below steps:
- Go to www.incomtaxindiaefiling.gov.in and log in to your account by user ID and password.
- Click on the ‘View Returns/Forms’ tab from the dashboard.
- Select ‘Income Tax Returns’ from the ‘Select an Option’ dropdown and submit the request.
- Now, click on the acknowledgement number of the relevant assessment year for which you want to check the IT refund status.
- You can now check the refund status. If the refund is paid, mode of payment, refund amount and date of clearance will be displayed in the ‘Downloads/ Status Description’ column.
You can alternatively check the refund status from the NSDL website by following the below steps:
- Go to the NSDL website from https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html.
- Mention PAN and select the assessment year for which you have to check the refund status.
- Enter captcha code and click on ‘Proceed’.
- The page will display income tax refund status.
For any clarifications/feedback on the topic, please contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org
I’m a chartered accountant and a functional CA writer by profession. Reading and travelling in free time enhances my creativity in work. I enjoy exploring my creative side, and so I keep myself engaged in learning new skills.