A Tax Deduction Account Number (TAN) or Tax Collection Account Number (TCS) is a 10-digit alpha-numeric number issued by the Income Tax (IT) department. The individuals required to collect tax at source (TCS) or responsible for deducting tax at source (TDS) are required to possess TAN.
It is possible to apply for TAN via two modes: offline and online.
Applying for TAN:
An application for allotment of TAN is required to be filed in Form 49B in duplicate and submitted to any Tax Information Network-Facilitation Centre (TIN-FC). The addresses of TIN-FCs are available at the Protean (formerly NSDL eGov) TIN website.
In case an individual is applying for TAN in online mode – then the application can be submitted by visiting the website of Protean TIN.
Steps for online change request of TAN information:
- Visit the official NSDL website
- To change or correct TAN data, select Online Application or click here option
- Then, fill in all the mandatory fields that would be marked with an asterisk (*) and select the corresponding box on the left margin of the appropriate field where correction is required
- In case the applicant fills in incorrect information, then a response indicating the error will be displayed on the screen
- After this, the forms will have to be re-submitted after rectifying the error(s)
- If the form submitted is error-free, then a confirmation message will be displayed on screen
- In case the applicant is satisfied with the displayed information, they may choose the confirm option
- Now, make the payment, and an acknowledgement slip will be generated. Don’t forget to save and print the acknowledgement slip
The receipt needs to be despatched along with requisite documents to Protean (formerly NSDL eGov) at Protean eGov Technologies Limited, 4th floor, Sapphire Chambers, Baner Road, Baner, Pune – 411 015.
Rajiv is an independent editorial consultant for the last decade. Prior to this, he worked as a full-time journalist associated with various prominent print media houses. In his spare time, he loves to paint on canvas.