Multiple Employee Provident Fund (EPF) accounts is typically a result of changing jobs; this job change leads to opening of different EPF accounts, one with each employer. With the introduction of Universal Account Number (UAN), multiples EPF can be consolidated into one single account for each account holder.
Each EPF account holder is allotted a UAN, specified in his salary slip. After allotment, the account holder has to activate the UAN on the EPFO unified member portal.
For activating, the account holder should visit the EPFO member portal and click on the “Activate UAN” tab. By entering UAN, name, date of birth and mobile number, an authorisation mobile pin is generated. The UAN gets activated once the pin is entered and authenticated.
Many account holders witnessed the issue of more than one EPF accounts, but it is possible to merge different EPF accounts on the EPFO website itself. Here is the step by step process to merge the PF accounts on the EPFO portal :
1. Select the “One employee – One EPF account” button under the services tab of the EPFO website.
2. A form will open for merging various EPF accounts on clicking the One employee – One EPF account” button.
3. The member has to enter his mobile number registered on the UAN portal. Next, UAN and current member ID must be entered.
4. On entering the details, an One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to the registered mobile number for authentication
5. On submission of the OTP, the page for entering old PF account details for the merger will be displayed. Once the old PF account number is entered and the declaration is allowed and submitted, the request for merger of that account to the existing PF account will be sent to EPFO.
Things to keep in mind:
1. The account merging facility is available on three days after activation of the UAN.
2. To take benefit of this service, the member needs to have his KYC and Aadhaar details updated and registered with the EPFO.